Chicken and Dressing. 2 meals under $15!
WE’VE DONE IT AGAIN! This recipe is two casseroles for $15 to make. An interesting flavor, and something that I’m not used to personally. This is more of a southern-style dish, best served up with some home-style gravy.
This is another make one, take one dish. You can make one for your freezer stash and eat one on meal prep night. Or you can freeze both
and you are prepared to share casserole with someone in need. Also great for bulking up your freezer meal stash!
Chicken and Dressing Bake
Yield: 2 Regular size casseroles
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 30-90 minutes
- 3 boxes of Jiffy cornbread! (Or use your own recipe. Make enough for a 9×13 pan.)
- 3 cups of sharp cheddar (I get mine at Aldi! SOOO CHEAP!)
- 2 cups of chicken stock (also get at Aldi)
- (2) 1 lb bags of frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Gravy to be served with the dinner.
- Garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and salt to taste! (I LOVE pink salt!)
- Two casseroles pans. I love these half serving pans from daily chef. (Full serving pans are too big! You’ll have chicken and dressing for days! Seriously.)
- Boil chicken in water in a medium saucepan for 20 minutes.
- Add garlic powder, onion powder, and salt to taste. I use about 1/2 tsp each. (The salt is optional. If you need to omit salt because of dietary restrictions that’s ok!)
- Prepare corn bread, but over cook it. I use Jiffy. Follow their preparation instructions and add about 3-4mins on to the cook time. The corn bread will be a little more brown and dry. (I prepare all three boxes with 1 cup of milk and three eggs. I put it in a greasy 9×13 pan and bake for about 24 minutes on 400F.
- Allow the corn bread to cool. Divide the corn bread into equal parts and put it in the casserole pans, and mash it.
- Put 1 bag of vegetables, 1 and 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese, and 1 cup of chicken stock into each of the casserole pans. Mix well.
- Shred the chicken and divide it equally into each of the casserole pans. (I put the chicken on a clean cutting board and shred it using two large forks!)
- Thoroughly mix the ingredients.
- Freeze the casseroles or bake them. Serve with gravy!
Preheat the oven to 350 and and cook room temperature casserole for 30 minutes, covered.
You can cook the frozen casserole, but it greatly increases the cook time! If the casserole is frozen cook it on 350 for 1 and 1/2 hours, covered.
Note: Casserole will keep for about 2 months, frozen.
Comment and tell me what you think of this recipe!
What other kind of recipes would you like to see?
Don’t forget to subscribe to my blog!
About the Author:
Brittany Freakin Chavez is a busy woman. She has a passion for improving people’s lives, and believes the best way to do that is through education! Brittany is the owner of Beautifully Connected: Doula and Massage in Oklahoma City. She is a passionate, motivated woman on a mission to share her knowledge and experience with everyone in the world!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.