Cheddar Broccoli Chicken Bake. 2 meals under $15!
I’m not going to lie, I’m not a big fan of casseroles. But this is a different kind of casserole! It’s not mushy. It freezes well. And it has an excellent consistency after you thaw and cook it.
The flavors are strong, and interesting. The broccoli does not overpower the entire dish. It’s the perfect combination of broccoli and cheese, with chicken and pasta!
The best part is, this recipe will give you two casseroles, and only costs around $15 to make. You really can’t beat that. At about $7 a meal, this feeds my family of two adults and five children.
With this type of meal you can make it on meal prep day, and freeze one for your stash. This is also a perfect meal to give to your friends who have recently had a baby! They will love and enjoy this Homestyle meal.
Recipe for Cheddar Broccoli Chicken Bake
Yield: 2 Regular size casseroles
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30-90 minutes
- (2) 32oz cans Cheddar soup. Or (6) 10.5oz cans.
- 3 cups of sharp cheddar (I get mine at Aldi! SOOO CHEAP!)
- 2 cups of chicken stock (also get at aldi)
- (2) 1 lb bags of frozen broccoli
- 2 lbs of penne pasta
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and salt to taste! (I LOVE pink salt!)
- Two casseroles pans. I love these half serving pans from daily chef. (DON’T GET THE FULL SERVING PANS. Seriously. They are too big even for my family!)
- Boil chicken in water in a medium saucepan for 20 minutes. Add 1/2 tsp of garlic powder, 1/2 tsp of onion powder, and salt to taste. (The salt is optional. So if you are on a low sodium diet it’s okay to omit.)
- Boil water and cook noodles. Make them al dente. Do not overcook them! (You want them soft enough so you can chew them without them being gummy. But you don’t want them to be so soft that they are mushy.)
- Put half of the cheddar soup into each of the casserole pans. Add 1 and 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese to each pan. Add 1 cup of chicken stock to each pan. Add one lb of frozen broccoli to each pan.
- Shred the chicken and divide it equally. (I find it easiest to put the chicken on a clean cutting board and tear it apart with two large forks!)
- Thoroughly mix the ingredients.
- Divide and add the noodles to each pan, mix again.
- Freeze the casseroles or bake them and eat them.
Preheat the oven to 350 and and cook room temperature casserole for 30 minutes, covered.
You can cook the frozen casserole, but I think it dries the noodles out. If the casserole is frozen cook it on 350 for 1 and 1/2 hours, covered.
Note: Casserole will keep for about 2 months, frozen.
Do you love cheddar cheese?
Comment and tell me what you think of this recipe!
What other kind of recipes would you like to see?
Don’t forget to subscribe to my blog!
About the Author:
Brittany Freakin Chavez is a busy woman. She has a passion for improving people’s lives, and believes the best way to do that is through education! Brittany is the owner of Beautifully Connected: Doula and Massage in Oklahoma City. She is a passionate, motivated woman on a mission to share her knowledge and experience with everyone in the world!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.